Hone Herewini

Kia Ora Koutou, My name is Hone Herewini and I am 42 years old.

I was born and bred in Whakatane and went to Trident High School where I became Head Boy. While there I played in the 1st Fifteen and went on tour with the team to North America in 1989. I was also in the Secondary School Reps for BOP.

​Rugby was my passion and I have played Senior Rugby for Whakatane, Taneatua and Opotiki Teams and then Te Araroa and Ngati Porou East Coast.

In 1998 I trained as a Police Officer and served in the Police Force until my accident in Sep. 2008. I worked in the Eastern Bay for several years before taking Sole Charge at Te Araroa East Coast, and then as Police Sergeant at Ruatoria.

It was while I was playing for the Territorials in Wanganui that my accident occurred on the rugby field leaving me with a severe head injury. I was on life support in Wellington Hospital for several days and recovery from then on was very slow. I don’t remember any of it. I spent one year at Cavit Rehabilitation Centre in West Auckland, two years in Abano Residential Care in Hamilton and am now living at Waimarie House in West Auckland, which is supervised by a Home Care Service called “What Ever It Takes.”

My injury has left me with little movement in my left side, unable to walk and short term memory loss. I have Care Givers 24/7 who attend to me and give me excellent care. I have not lost my long term memory or my sense of humour but naturally I do get frustrated and depressed at times as I would like to see more of my four children.

Eighteen months after my accident The Police Association arranged for a Golf Tournament to be held on my behalf and have used the proceeds to buy me a table tennis table, a computer and a Freeview box for the TV.

I have joined Boccia and play each week and attended the Eve Rimmer Games in March this year at my old home town, Whakatane.
I also have a weekly session in the hydro pool at Henderson which I enjoy.

My highlight this year was our trip to the Sevens Rugby in Wellington thanks to the Rugby Foundation. I was also given a big surprise when the gifts from the Rugby Foundation arrived at Christmas.